Finding solace in Founders: the freshman-sophomore retreat

Lucy Vietor ’18 shares her experience at the freshman-sophomore retreat.

Freshman+and+Sophomores+were+invited+to+a+retreat+night.+

Lucy Vietor

Freshman and Sophomores were invited to a retreat night.

Deciding to go on a retreat is usually a big decision. However, in the case of the freshman and sophomore retreat, I knew immediately that I wanted to go. Mrs. Patterson came into my Theology class and told us about it: It was one night at Xavier, with her and Father Kevin, and the chance to enjoy the excitement of a school lock-in as well as grow closer to the Lord. The sign-up was quick and easy and I couldn’t wait for 7:00 pm on Thursday night.

When I arrived, I knew that my decision to go to the retreat was definitely not a mistake In Founders’ Hall, music was playing and Father Kevin showed off a few of his dance moves. The night began with a prayer, a few games, and snacks. Then, a married couple, Mr. and Mrs. Martinez, shared with us about their experience of love and how they used their love for each other to cultivate an even more loving relationship with Jesus. There were three key elements they tried to bring into their relationship with Christ. These were adventure, joy and intimacy. I was especially struck by adventure, because, I don’t normally associate religion with the spirit of adventure.

While some girls decided to go to bed, others chose to watch a movie.
Lucy Vietor

The next part of the evening was exploring praise and worship music, an event led by Mary Castner. With Castner, we spoke about prayer and how music is a wonderful means to bring prayer to life and help us connect with what we were playing. Castner played the guitar and sang with usas words appeared on the screen. I’m not a good singer by any means, but, this was one of my most favorite parts of the night. Then, Castner had us close our eyes and imagine Jesus standing in the room with us. It was eye-opening that music could help us visualise the presence of Jesus. After the jam session, we went to adoration, where we peacefully sat in the Lord’s presence.

Back in Founders, everyone had a slice or several slices of pizza: a food which should make anyone’s night instantly better. While some girls decided to go to bed, others chose to watch a movie.

As for my friends and I, well, we decided to play Apples to Apples...and stay up for the whole night.
As for my friends and I, well, we decided to play Apples to Apples…and stay up for the whole night.

It was my first all-nighter; but, instead of completing homework or extra assignments, I was in Founders at 4:00 am in the morning just having a great time with all my friends.

And while the night filled with excitement, the retreat came to a close  in the morning with a mass and breakfast. Even though I was tired when I left Xavier, I am happy that I spent those hours celebrating and praying with people who’s company I appreciated.