Vegan food festival

Vegan food festival

Vegan food festival

Marybeth Bonner '19

Marybeth Bonner '19

Vegan food festival

Marybeth Bonner, In Class Writer

The third annual Phoenix Vegan Food Festival took place on Saturday, Feb. 24. Held at Margaret T. Hance Park, thousands of vegans and non-vegans attended this event to celebrate veganism. Every food truck and vendor booth was vegan and cruelty free. Live music and entertainment filled the atmosphere.

The festival consisted of promoting yummy vegan food, as well as cruelty-free beauty and fashion products. Veganism is abstaining from consuming animal products (meat, eggs, dairy) and avoiding any product that involved animal labor. As a vegan, eating out is challenging and meticulous. Since the festival contained 100% plant-based products, I was able to enjoy the food without having to triple check the ingredients.

Junior Emily Good went to the event and thought that “it was very eye-opening. I ate vegan food that didn’t taste vegan. The atmosphere was so uplifting and everyone was very approachable. I would definitely go next year!”

This was my first time attending the event, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. There was a variety of activities to participate in for all ages, including a kids play area and a yoga area. Food trucks, such as Mustache Pretzels and The Local Lunchbox, were there. Some companies, including Mustache Pretzels and Wildflower Bread Company, provided food that adjusted to the vegan standards.

The Phoenix Food Festival requires an entry ticket ranging from $25 to $30. One can certainly get their money’s worth by taking advantage of the free samples. However, multiple vendors and food trucks cost separate. My only critique would be that the event should have one entry fee, and then everything inside should include no extra charge.

As a new vegan, I went to this festival looking to learn more about veganism and eat delicious vegan food. I would recommend going to the Phoenix Food Festival next year to anyone who is the slightest bit interested in veganism!

Thousands of people, in downtown Phoenix, outside enjoying the cool weather while eating vegan food with friends.