The Student News Site of Xavier College Preparatory

XPress

XPress

XPress

XPress

Follow Us On Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

Xavier XPress (@xcpxpress) • Instagram photos and videos

Local Weather
PHOENIX WEATHER
Scoreboard

5 Celebrities You Probably Don’t Know Are Catholic

In the modern world, talking about religion can be somewhat of a faux pas, especially for famous people in the public eye. Instead of keeping their beliefs private, these celebrities have spoken out about their faith.

1. Selena Gomez
    Former Disney Channel star and current singer Selena Gomez was raised Catholic. She visited the Vatican earlier this year and met Pope Francis with her fellow Wizards of Waverly Place actor, David Henrie.  

Selena Gomez (Getty Images)

2. Stephen Colbert
    The Late Show host is a devout Catholic and even brings his faith onto his show by challenging other Catholic celebrities such as Patricia Heaton to a “Catholic Throwdown”. Colbert has been praised for his representation of Catholics in mainstream media.

Stephen Colbert (Getty Images)
  3. Jack White
    The former White Stripes frontman and rock icon is a lifelong Catholic that is still active in his faith today. White grew up in a large Catholic family with ten children. He has also been one of the celebrities featured on Stephen Colbert’s “Catholic Throwdown”.

Jack White (Getty Images)
  4. Danny DeVito
    Yes, the man who played Matilda’s father is Catholic! Legendary actor and producer Danny DeVito was raised in the faith, was an altar server at his New Jersey church, and even attended a Catholic boarding school.

Danny DeVito (Getty Images)
  5. Leonardo DiCaprio
    Last but not least, Oscar award-winning actor Leonardo DiCaprio is a practicing Catholic. He is a passionate environmentalist and has even met up with Pope Francis, most likely to discuss saving the planet.

Leonardo DiCaprio (Getty Images)