How Black History Month is expressed at Xavier

On a February afternoon, one of many posters around Xavier College Preparatory commemorating Black History Month is seen hanging on a wall. These posters are made by We Are Xavier Club to honor African Americans.
Savannah Landrum Taylor, XPress Staff

Black History Month is a time to recognize the triumphs and the hardships of African Americans. It takes place from Feb. 1 until Mar. 1. Xavier College Preparatory is taking steps to spread information around campus about Black History Month.

Black History Month, also known as African American History Month, originated from a historian by the name of Dr. Carter G. Woodson who was the second African American to receive a PHD from Harvard. Black History Month became an official month-long observance in 1926. 

As students walk around the front courtyard, numerous posters can be seen hanging up on Xavier’s walls. 

During the mad rush of classes, activities and sports, many students around campus took notice of the efforts made to commemorate the holiday. 

Posters around Xavier’s campus, sponsored by We Are Xavier Club (WAX), show influential African Americans and their contributions to the world. 

Lonnie Taylor, freshman at Xavier, emphasized that the posters “make her feel uplifted to know that her school acknowledges Black History Month, and Black resistance.” She also expressed the comfort that she felt to know that her school cares about Black History and Black students. 

Her two favorite influential African Americans are Chadwick Boseman and Mae Jemison. Their posters can be found by the Front Courtyard. 

Teachers are taking the time to honor Black History Month as well, by creating interactive activities relating to the holiday. 

Sophomore Taylor Towns was among one of the many students who participated in Eva Becker’s Black History Month Kahoot and Desmos activity.   

“It was surprising, but sweet for her to do something like that. It seemed like she put real interest into the activities and it didn’t feel like she was forced to honor the month,” said Towns. 

Towns also said that she would love to continue seeing more interactive activities around campus for the following years to come. 

During this month, it is important for all students to recognize the importance of Black History Month, and what it means to them. 

Ava Sharett, junior at Xavier, says that Black History Month makes her feel happy because important people in society are receiving the recognition they deserve for reaching success even through the hardships that come with the color of their skin.

Sharett also shared special anecdotes about her grandmother who had the opportunity to March with Martin Luther King Jr.’s wife and about Sharett’s aunt who participated in lunch-counter sit-ins. 

“It is important that as Americans we rejoice for all that black people have contributed to society through music, food, arts, entertainment and culture,” Sharett said.

Sharett expressed how Black History Month makes her feel proud of those in her community who have done so much to try to make the world a better place.