Xavier fosters sisterhood among students

Students+join+together+and+sing+Xavier%E2%80%99s+%E2%80%9CAlma+Mater%2C%E2%80%9D+at+the+winter+sports+rally%3B+this+song+symbolizes+the+unity+and+sisterhood+among+students.+The+anthem+serves+as+a+reminder+that+through+high+school+and+beyond+they+will+never+be+alone.+
Emily Pallari
Students join together and sing Xavier’s “Alma Mater,” at the winter sports rally; this song symbolizes the unity and sisterhood among students. The anthem serves as a reminder that through high school and beyond they will never be alone.

The dances, mixers and football games are some of the activities that many say they miss about high school. While this is true, for Xavier students, it’s also the sisterhood that comes from the unique experience of going to an all-girls school

According to “Private School Review,” Xavier is one of five educational institutes solely for women in Arizona. Unfamiliarity with all-girls schools often raises questions from those who grew up in co-ed schools. 

Senior class president Chloe Fox addresses some assumptions people form about students who pursue an all-female learning environment. “People assume that we are not social with boys and that we are confined to our environment,” Fox says. 

The assumption that most upsets Fox is that all-girls’ schools aren’t fun. She explains that Xavier hosts many dances and other activities to give students memories that will last a lifetime. 

Fox also appreciates the sisterhood that Xavier fosters, saying, “We’re all very supportive of each other and are like-minded in the sense that we all want the best for each other.”

Xavier students strive to embody the motto Sister Lynn Winsor professes “LBF,” which means “Let’s be friendly.” Every day in school and while representing Xavier outside of school, the young women strive to show this.  

Executive Board president Jeannie Cobb adds that there are many more opportunities for friendship because of the “tight knit” community that Xavier offers. 

Cobb is grateful for the confidence the Xavier environment encourages. She explains that she isn’t afraid to share her thoughts and doesn’t feel judged by others when doing so. 

Fox explains that she wasn’t afraid to wear a silly wig for “Wacky Wednesday,” a day where students could wear their skirts with any choice of crazy sweaters, shirts, and hairstyles. 

“Our whole student body? Girls. Our club leaders? Girls. Every leadership position is filled by a girl,” says Xavier alumna and teacher Eva Becker. 

Having worked at co-ed schools in the past, Becker has seen how male-dominated sports like football overshadow others at events and at pep rallies. 

She explains that hearing girls’ names on morning announcements because they scored goals in games has made her realize the profound effect Xavier has had on girls’ confidence.

Becker recognizes how Xavier is preparing future women to thrive and contribute to society in unique ways. Even the required 50 hours of community service to non-profit organizations allows students to give back to the community, but also to develop character. 

Xavier’s strong alumnae connection and community keep generations of women coming to Xavier. Becker explains that she was contacted by Sister Joan Fitzgerald after college in order to teach, and Cobb wanted to attend Xavier after her mother graduated from there. 

In the end, there is much more to Xavier than simply being an “all-girls school.” The bond, community and friendships formed between students are truly unique and like no other.

View Comments (1)