Xavier’s Dance Club: ‘It’s not just for dancers; it’s for everyone’

During+8th+hour+in+Steele+130%2C+Dance+Club+members+learn+from+professional+swing+dancer%2C+Steve+Conrad%2C+assisted+by+Xavier%E2%80%99s+own+dance+teacher+Kelly+Scovel.+The+group+is+filled+with+a+variety+of+students%2C+with+various+backgrounds+in+dance.+
Chloe Beery
During 8th hour in Steele 130, Dance Club members learn from professional swing dancer, Steve Conrad, assisted by Xavier’s own dance teacher Kelly Scovel. The group is filled with a variety of students, with various backgrounds in dance.

On January 31, Xavier’s Dance Club hosted a professional swing dancer, Steve Conrad, to learn a special routine from him; this same routine was taught to contestants on “The Bachelorette” in season 12. 

Guest choreographers join Dance Club to help expand the girls’ repertoires and to teach those new to dance. 

The club meets once a month in Steele 130 to learn from professionals and from each other. “It’s a small commitment to join Dance Club but it’s a lot of fun,” said the club’s moderator and dance department chair Mary Anne Herding.

Herding cites the personal connections she has built in the valley as why the group is able to learn from so many different teachers.  “It turned out to be a nice resource. We have friends who teach all different genres of dance,” said Herding. 

On the same note, Herding said, “Usually they’re [professional dancers] willing and interested in working with the girls here because the girls work hard and they’re fun.” 

Past glamorous guests have included teachers who worked for some of Hollywood’s stars, teaching their children how to dance. 

Dance Club member Camila Paz Gil speaks highly of the swing dance lesson in particular. Paz Gil began her dance journey freshman year and has been an avid member of the club since then. 

“This is the second time I’ve done the swing event; both times I was able to bring a friend,” Paz Gil said.  

Being able to bring her friends who are not in dance classes to club meetings is a major reason why Paz Gil enjoys the club so much. “It’s not not just for dancers; it’s for everyone.”

Dance Club president Amoré Lanese shares a similar sentiment saying, “No matter the style or the difficulty of the class, everyone is always smiling and having fun.”

Guest instructors are not the only thing this club has to offer. Once a year, the club takes a trip to Morning Star Assisted Living to perform various routines for the residents. 

Being able to go dance for Morning Star and see each of their faces light up is truly one of my favorite parts about the dance department,” Lanese said. 

Lanese has been dancing since she was a little girl and claims that being a part of the dance community has been a vital part of her time at Xavier. 

By contrast, Paz Gil began her dance journey freshman year and has been an avid member of the club since then. 

This group has been a fun and exciting way to grow closer to classmates and expand skill sets. Lanese said, “The opportunities at Dance Club are truly endless.”