Xavier athletics define success

Basketball Gators Mo Ulrich ‘24, Lucy Sanford ‘25, and Dom Nesland ‘24 pose holding the 2024 State Championship trophy. This marked Xavier’s 153rd state championship and the first-ever basketball state championship. (Photo courtesy of Nero Nuez)

Xavier is known for many things, whether it be the plaid skirts or the rigorous academics. Most notable, however, is the athletics program.

As of Saturday, March 2, 2024, Xavier is credited with winning 153 state championships, 63 state runners-up and 225 region championships. 

This success can be attributed to the dedicated student-athletes, the remarkable coaches and the organized athletics department. 

Sister Lynn Winsor became the athletic director of Xavier in January of 1977, when the school only had one state championship title in swimming. Winsor has been a pioneer for women’s equality and diversity in athletics. She was inducted into the National Interscholastic Athletic Association Hall of Fame in 2021, the National Federation of State High School Associations Hall of Fame in 2023 and, most recently, she was awarded The Leslie Moore Legacy Award.

“My motto is there is something here for everyone, whether it’s a club, a sport or an activity. That’s my philosophy. That’s why we’ve started so many things,” Winsor said.

Xavier has 12 fall sports teams, 6 winter sports teams, 10 spring sports teams and 6 multi-season sports teams, all competing in the highest conference. Xavier has everything from soccer to esports. These numerous sports offer opportunities for every Gator to play.

Tui Selvaratnam, associate director of athletics, states, “Being a part of the Xavier community is that once you are a Gator, you are always a Gator.”