The Student News Site of Xavier College Preparatory

XPress

XPress

XPress

XPress

Community of plaid: Uniforms bring Xavier students together

The+Xavier+uniforms+from+the+1940s+and+1960s+are+displayed+in+the+Alumnae+Relations+Center+located+in+Founders+Hall.+Uniforms+are+an+important+part+of+Xavier+as+they+make+all+students+equal+and+they+instill+discipline.+
Asiana Guang
The Xavier uniforms from the 1940s and 1960s are displayed in the Alumnae Relations Center located in Founders Hall. Uniforms are an important part of Xavier as they make all students equal and they instill discipline.

Wearing a uniform every day may seem like a daunting task. On the one hand, students don’t have to worry about choosing an outfit every morning, but on the other hand they have to worry about staying within the dress code. 

Xavier’s uniform mainly consists of a durable plaid skirt, a blue or white polo shirt and a Xavier sweatshirt. Students can wear non-open-back shoes; black, gray, or white unlabeled socks; and one bracelet on each wrist.

The uniforms have not always looked this way. Head of alumnae relations and alum, Polly Fitz-Gerald, says, “It started as a white blouse, navy straight skirt, a navy jacket with white piping and a beanie that said XHS (Xavier High School).”

Although the uniforms have been modified since then, blue has always been Xavier’s color because it is the color of Mary. In 1965, the navy straight skirt developed into the pleated plaid skirt students wear today. 

The most important thing about the Xavier uniform is that it sets you apart. Everyone knows when someone is a Xavier student when they go out and have the skirt on. 

Fitz-Gerald adds, “Xavier has uniforms because it makes everyone equal in a certain respect and limits distractions.”

Dean of Students Dee Dee Macrina says, “What I love about the uniforms is that you don’t know anything about the student’s background. All you know is the plaid skirt, polo and sweatshirt, so we have girls from all walks of life and all cultures, but they all wear plaid.”

Macrina is the final arbiter of the dress code. Xavier expects its students to follow uniform regulations to avoid violations that lead to minor or major consequences.