Sports and fitness holiday gift guide

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sports and fitness holiday gift guide

Here are a few of the mentioned fitness-related gifts that are great for anyone.

Lauren Stevens '18

Lauren Stevens '18

Lauren Stevens '18

Megan Onofrei, Club Writer

Christmas is a very stressful holiday, mostly because of the pressure to get the perfect gift for your loved ones. For all of those people that have sports and fitness minded family members, the following is a helpful guide to athletic-related gifts!

A very popular gift is a Fitbit (the original activity tracker) because it offers many features for all types of athletes or for those individuals who just want to pay more attention to their fitness. I personally own a Fitbit and it definitely helps me to focus more on my physical health and conditioning. The phone app for the Fitbit allows one to check the steps that one walks each day, the number of miles walked each day, the calories burned and it even tracks sleep. It is a gift that could motivate friends and family members to pursue overall better fitness for themselves. Fitbits are easily available at stores across the Valley including Target, Walmart, Kohl’s and Macy’s. The price of a Fitbit runs from $60 to $150 depending on the type of features one would want. Other brands which offer products similar to the original Fitbit include Garmin and Samsung.

For fitness lovers, the best Christmas presents can be as simple as athletic clothes that are comfortable but trendy at the same time. Running shorts are an item that are a necessity for athletes. Trendy stores such as Lululemon offer a variety of styles and colors. One can shop at Lululemon stores located throughout the Valley or online at lululemon.com. For those looking for athletic clothing options that are a bit more affordable than Lululemon, quality sportswear can be found at Dick’s Sporting Goods or at any Nike, Under Armour or Adidas outlets.

Appropriate shoes are also very important when hitting the gym or participating in fitness related activities. Athletic shoes should feel good on the feet and provide enough support to help prevent injuries. Nowadays there are so many cool looking athletic shoes, so being fashionable while exercising is definitely an option! Athletic shoes can be found at any department store, shoe store or any sportswear outlet store. Online merchants such as Amazon and Zappos offer great selections and prices for all types of athletic shoes.  

When exercising, the most important item needed is a water bottle. Without water, one can become dehydrated and it is very difficult to successfully work out when you are dehydrated.  Dehydration can also lead to many medical problems including issues with your muscles, kidneys and heart. Hydro Flasks are very popular gifts to help any type of athlete stay hydrated. In fact, last year for Christmas I received two Hydro Flasks! They come in all different sizes and colors, allowing one to customize your water bottle. One can also add stickers on your Hydro Flask to make it more personal. It is very easy to find Hydro Flasks because they have become readily available at sporting good stores, some groceries stores, on Amazon and at hydroflask.com.

When pursuing a healthy lifestyle, the nutrition put in the body is the fuel that drives athletic success. An amazing gift for anyone who loves smoothies and acai bowls is a Nekter gift card. Nekter offers very healthy food options and it is also quick; promoting an efficient and healthy lifestyle.

Another option to encourage one of your loved ones to become more physically active could be through a gym membership. There are countless gyms and fitness centers throughout the Valley; some of the most common ones are LA Fitness, Mountainside Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness and Planet Fitness. Even YMCAs and community centers offer athletic facilities at reasonable prices. It is very easy to sign up for a gym membership and these memberships can help to motivate friends and family to go to the gym and work out. Perhaps include a membership for yourself so that the recipient of your gift has someone to work out with.

You could also give your loved one a yoga mat and encourage them to attend a yoga class. Yoga is one of the most relaxing fitness activities, but it is excellent for building strength, toning the body and losing calories. There are various types of yoga that are offered to meet the needs of all types of individuals including those brand new to fitness.  

This gives you an idea of the many fun fitness related gift options to help keep your family and friends healthy this year. Please consider these options when you make your shopping list this Christmas!