Xavier basketball strives to win first-ever state title

After a win against Sunnyslope High School, the basketball team gathers around in celebration over their win against Sunnyslope. The team cheers and smiles as they prepare for the next state game. (Photo courtesy of Zachary Carlson)

On February 27, Xavier played Pinnacle High School, securing a victory with a score of 69-53. This victory advanced them to play in the state championship game on Saturday, March 2.

Xavier basketball faced Sunnyslope High School at home on Thursday, February 22. Their win put them up against Pinnacle which then put them up against Desert Vista for the championship.

According to Max Preps, currently the varsity basketball team is ranked second in the state of Arizona.

With 25 wins and 4 losses so far this season, the team continues toward its goal. 

Throughout the season, the team has worked hard and their efforts show through their various wins. 

Noelle Bofia ‘26 states,  “We Defend.” This is this year’s team motto and the team exemplifies this at practice and on  the court as they continue to dominate in their games.

Bofia also shared that she hopes her team will work together more. She believes that working together will help them be stronger and win the important games. Through team lunches and their continuous support of other teams like Brophy basketball teammates are able to exemplify working together and showing up as a team. 

Varsity player, Aluel Ajang ‘24 says, “In order to win together we need to be together.” She said that their biggest challenge is teamwork, and she hopes that her team will show more unification and hard work. 

The Gators are excited to continue fighting in hopes of winning its first-ever basketball state championship. Sariah McNabb ‘27 stated that she wants her team to continue winning. She hopes that through this, her team will continue to grow closer.

Sarah Miller ‘24 also shared that she is hoping for a more cohesive team. Many of the girls on the team are really looking for more teamwork as they head into the championship.

Cece Mlat ‘25 says that she wants the school to know that the Xavier varsity basketball team does represent a family. 

These are not just a regular team of girls. They spend time together, getting to know one another and they uplift each other on and off the court.

The Gators will play Desert Vista on Saturday, and the administrators encourage everyone to support this team so they are able to secure the first-ever state championship win in basketball.