The Student News Site of Xavier College Preparatory

XPress

XPress

XPress

XPress

Follow Us On Instagram
View this profile on Instagram

Xavier XPress (@xcpxpress) • Instagram photos and videos

Local Weather
PHOENIX WEATHER
Scoreboard

Xavier Youth Flag Football Night sparks interest in younger girls

The flag football team is joined in the huddle by the girls who attended Youth Flag Football Night on October 16. The girls who attended show their admiration for the team and their excitement for the game against Queen Creek. (Photo courtesy of Camila Felix)

The Xavier flag football team, along with the athletics department, held Youth Flag Football Night on Monday, October 16 at Petznick Field. The event focus was to promote flag football to younger girls by allowing them to run out with the team and watch its game against Queen Creek.

Michael Patterson, flag football head coach, who suggested the idea of Youth Flag Football Night said, “There is a lot of interest in our program and there are not many teams in the diocese, so it was a good idea to have girls come out and support us and check it out.”

Along with Patterson, the Xavier athletics office has been striving to incorporate new, engaging activities, as well as recognizing certain people during the Xavier sporting events. 

“For flag football we did a recognition of our referees, and we also recognized our military in both volleyball and flag football this year, so we are trying to do new, different things within our sports,” said Susan Contreras, associate director of athletics.

The goal of Youth Flag Football Night was not only to promote the team but mainly to introduce the younger generation of girls to flag football.

“Youth Flag Football night is a good opportunity for them not only to see what they can do in high school, and the opportunities after, but also to talk to the coaches if they have any questions and see if they’re interested,” said Briella Boubek, captain of the team.

The girls who came out to be a part of the night were able to support the team as it faced the Bulldogs of Queen Creek. The Gators managed to win the game, 28-0, earning a spot to play for the region title on Thursday. Winning the region title will give them a higher seed in the playoffs next week. 

While the team is focused on winning, working together as a family and improving their skills, the coaches see a strong group of young women having fun and having a huge impact on the younger generation.

“I want them to have fun, play hard, just not have any regrets out there. The girls don’t understand that they are all such great players on a great team, and whether we win or lose I am beyond proud of them,” said Asiah Walker, assistant coach.

The young girls and fans who watched the team play at the event easily recognized the union, tenacity and heart that Patterson sees in his team.  

“It’s been really special because we take a step back and see this is a sport that we love, but at the same time, we’re making history. One of the first-ever flag football teams in Arizona, in the nation, and most importantly, the first flag football team at Xavier,” says Boubek.

Not only was October 16 a successful Youth Flag Football Night and an important win for the Gators, it was also a win for the nation. 

It was announced by the NFL and International Federation of American Football that flag football was approved for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

Patterson said, “Today flag football actually became an Olympic sport. It was approved today, and it just shows the growth of football throughout the country.”

View Comments (1)