Xavier prepares for upcoming senior fashion show

Ellie Hilsabeck
Xavier students walk the runway representing cross country at the parade of activities in last year’s fashion show. The parade of activities is when seniors show off the clubs, sports and activities at Xavier in uniforms.

On April 13, Xavier College Preparatory will host the “XCP takes Flight” 2024 fashion show.

The fashion show is an annual event hosted by the Xavier Mothers’ Guild that raises money for Xavier student scholarships.

Each year of the fashion show there is a new theme. Some previous years include “X Club” (2018), “Shine” (2019), “Legacy” (2020) and “Vision” (2021).

The show is a senior event which is one of the last events the class does together as a whole.

This year’s co-chairs for the event are Geri Farr and Suzanne Vanderhoff. “Suzanne and I intend to set a new record for scholarship fundraising this year in addition to a new record for attendance and participation,” Farr said.

Each year Xavier is able to provide assistance for nearly 50% of students in need of scholarship. In 2017 $30,000 was raised, in 2019 $197,000 was raised and in 2021 $124,000 was raised.

All proceeds from every year’s scholarship fashion show go directly to the Xavier Scholarship Fund.

Kerrie Addante-Jacobs, a Mothers’ Guild member sees the hard work and dedication behind the scenes that make a special day for seniors. Whether it’s making it to Sunday practices, setting up the show or planning the entire event, Mothers’ Guild moms are essential in the success of the show.

Mothers’ Guild leaders such as Bobbi Morgan, Maria Murphy-Fontes and Taylor Van Arsdall work tirelessly hand-in-hand with volunteer moms. This year Kimberly Barr, a Xavier Mothers’ Guild mom, made the vision come to life with infographics and promotions for the event.

Each year there is also a different number of attendees, influencing the amount of money raised. Typically, the Xavier fashion shows are hosted at JW Marriott at Desert Ridge, The Phoenician, or The Arizona Biltmore.This year’s fashion show will be hosted for the first time at the Scottsdale Airpark. 

”We believe Xavier helps to launch young women into the world to fulfill who they can be and are becoming,” Farr said.

Farr and Vanderhoff stated, ”Once we knew ‘XCP Takes Flight’ would be our theme, it informed the decision to maximize the aviation setting in Atlantic Aviation Hangar and the details flowed from there!”

Brophy seniors also partake in some of the dances and provide assistance for the entertainment of the show. 

The “XCP Takes Flight” Fashion Show will be on Saturday, April 13, 2024 at 6 p.m. at the Scottsdale Airpark Atlantic Aviation Hangar.